Tuesday 25 January 2011

FRANCES PELLEGRINI 1950'S

Frances Pellegrini had a successful commercial career in New York from the late 1940's through the 1980's. Pellegrini pioneered her roles as a photographer and an independent business woman. She was a contemporary of the movement that saw photographers like Margaret Bourke White and Walker Evans lend artistic ability to commercial purpose. Pellegrini herself worked for a decade at Harpers' Bazaar with legendary art director Alexei Brodovitch. Her images reflect an elegantly understated style and modern sensibility. Before starting her commercial career, Pellegrini joined the historic Photo League and worked with photographers Dan Weiner and Sid Grossman; their use of photography as a tool for social change and personal expression are ideas found in Pellegrini's early work that never disappear entirely. Pellegrini's street works are intuitive, loosely handled and depict an intimacy with the city.















"I decided to get a camera of my own--a Rolliflex.
My professional career began in photo-reportage--writing and illustrating articles. Soon I gravitated toward fashion. Eventually I set up my own studio with my husband Bruno. We did both editorial and advertising photography. Our editorial clients were magazines such as Harpers' Bazaar, Glamour, Seventeen, Modern Bride & Woman's Day. For fashion work during the 50's the deliverable item was a silver gelatin print. At that time, color was very expensive, so it was simply not used. The client would have some idea of what they wanted, but they gave me quite a lot of latitude.
I didn't crop my images or manipulate them much--nothing more extensive than toning down a white dress that was getting too much light. I have never consciously composed a photograph. I never thought of my photography as art. Certain things were simple. I just wanted to take a good picture." - Frances Pellegrini.

No comments:

Post a Comment